Thursday, August 13, 2015

Barnes and Noble August Book Haul



Hello! This August I was able to splurge a bit and buy these lovelies off of barnesandnoble.com. Admittedly because I had some extra time on my hands this past week, I went through BN's sales books which included 1,200+ books. I came away with these top picks. 

If you're wondering who would be crazy enough to spend all of that time to only get 7 books, well, I would - especially since The whole haul only cost me $35 for 7 new books and a Piccadilly notebook (that looks exactly like a Moleskin!). 

What I love about this haul? I only two of the seven books purchased were teen fiction novels - I really need to get back in the habit of reading some more adult fiction. Also, I absolutely LOVE Piccadilly notebooks since they're EXACTLY like Moleskin notebooks but cost a fraction of the price - especially when you get them on clearance like I did this medium sized notebook for $3.99! Get your own here

Why did I get them from Barnes and Noble when I can probably buy these books cheaper at places like thriftbooks, abebooks, and allibris (which are mainly used books)? Because I like supporting an actually store that I can actually go to and spend time in. I want to keep Barnes and Nobles alive, especially while so many other large bookstores have gone under. Remember Borders bookstore which closed down in 2011? Or how the Barnes and Noble in Manhattan on 68th street and Broadway closed down all of a sudden only to be replaced with a Century 21? I don't want my money to go to some online store I can't visit like Amazon (which cheats a lot of its independent publishers). So if you are thinking of buying books online from a store, please check out the Barnes and Noble bargain books. 

What I didn't like about my books?
The fact that a lot of them have these bargain price stickers. They are huge, take away from my covers, and are terribly hard to take off. There's a high chance you'll damage your books trying to get them off and even if you do, the adhesive always leaves a sticky residue. I understand if I buy a book from a store that already had the sticker on it but if I'm buying a book online and the picture of the book I'm buying doesn't have this sticker on it, I really expect for my book to arrive sans sticker. 

Other than that, these titles are lovely and I really look forward to reading them. The titles above include:
  • Come to Me Quietly by A.L Jackson - An adult romance story.
  • Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck - An adult novel about a nurse treating Zelda Fitzgerald, F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife, which Zelda's mental problems and how that effected her relationship with her famous writer husband.
  • The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson - A teen fiction version of a female Robin Hood who falls in love with the man who is commissioned to capture her.
  • Dollface by Renee Rosen - An adult story set during the 1920's when a woman is caught in the middle of a feud between two mob bosses vying for her attention.
  • Reluctantly Charmed by Ellie O'Neill - A modern fairy story about a woman who inherits a poem about fairies from her aunt and posts the beginning of the poem on her blog. All of Ireland goes crazy for the poem and she must decide whether or not to publish the rest.
  • The Spirit Keeper by K.B Laugheed - A teen fiction novel set during the Colonial Era about a girl who is kidnapped by Native Americans and is told that she must help a tribe fulfill a prophecy.
  • Landline by Rainbow Rowell - Rainbow Rowell's adult fiction novel about a time machine like phone (think the Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock but with a phone instead).
I hope you guys have a great weekend! Let me know what books you guys are excited about buying this August or what releases you are looking forward to!

No comments

Post a Comment